FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - How does PlusPoints / Mileage Upgrade waitlist for business work with PremiumPlus?
Old Jun 16, 2019, 8:33 am
findark
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by VegasGambler
It slows me on the PP upgrade list with a green checkmark, as though I had been upgraded to PP (I wasn't; I bought a PP fare). Is this normal? I'm hoping it's just a display bug (they see me in the upgrade list; they see me in a PP seat; they assume I was upgraded) and won't affect my ability to get my miles + copay refunded?
Assuming your fare class is R, yes this is normal, and yes this is a bug. You should be fine on the refund; if any issues point out that R is formerly the Business upgrade class.

Originally Posted by VegasGambler
I'm also curious about how the upgrade waitlist works when it goes to the gate. Paid PP is supposed to be ahead of all economy pax. For pre-gate-control upgrades this doesn't really hurt GS because they clear into different space, so even though I'm "ahead" of them, they are going to clear before I do. But at the gate there's no concept of upgrade space. Would I (lowly gold status in PP) really clear ahead of a GS on an economy fare?
We don't know for sure, but yes you would probably be ahead of GS in Economy. Unlike some, I don't see the problem with this - you voluntarily purchased a higher class of service, and the GS in Y did not. You could just as easily wonder why a lowly Silver on a P fare gets to sit in Polaris when a GS on a full O fare doesn't clear out of PE.

Originally Posted by Kacee
The valuation differential holds particularly for those of us who can't use all our GPUs (which is likely the large majority of 1Ks). I would never burn cash for an upgrade when I could use a GPU.
For me, this is the most obvious issue. Backing out the times I need to buy J outright, I just don't fly overwater often enough to confidently burn all of my GPUs and then some, so the fact that they spoil makes them the obvious choice. Your miles might be good for something another day; you GPUs are never going to be better than an upgrade this year.