FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - How does PlusPoints / Mileage Upgrade waitlist for business work with PremiumPlus?
Old Jun 15, 2019, 8:41 pm
ryman554

Programs: UA 1KMM
Originally Posted by Kacee
Yes, but only if W is still available.

Most people would place the value of a GPU well below the cost of the MUA.
How do you come to this conclusion?

A MUA for PP is what, 30k miles?
A MUA for J is 30k miles + ~+$400 or so, depending on fare class.

A GPU upgrade for either PP or J is, well, 1 GPU. Therefore, the GPU is "worth more" by ~+$400 is cash in this case, since it can be used to get you into J that more "cheaply"

At 1c/mile, a GPU upgrade is worth $300 (or more), even for PP upgrades. $700+ to get into J. For an A fare, the cost differential to get into PP seems to hover around $300 extra per leg (it's less for R) TPAC, but seems to be less TATL. So, again, about a $300 or so value for a GPU to get into PP. Business is a lot more now that PP is arrived, so it's worth more to get into J.

Since I use GPU effectively, I value them about the same as a MUA, without the hard cash outlay. While a MUA usually a *horrible* deal for Y->J if P is available, it is not always, especially out of SFO (my home base).

Over on CC, they seem to be valued at 25k miles a pop... so, the swap of a MUA to PP as per the OP for a GPU "isn't too bad", and a strategy I would follow: upgrade with miles for PP, GPU for J.