FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - BA835 - 14/06 - Hard Landing then Go Around
Old Jun 15, 2019, 11:47 am
LTN Phobia
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Originally Posted by T8191
Actually, unless there are identified comms difficulties, no ATCO would use ‘over’ or indeed ‘out’ ... except in the latter case to shut someone up!
True that. I have heard "out" said by a known narky ATCO. It wasn't said to me but it kind of made me laugh. Your comment reminded me...

The only other times I distinctly remember hearing "out" in the aviation context from the 'proper' end is at the end of ATIS*.

I did say "out" once when I had to unplug the headsets for safety reason and there were no speakers so I couldn't have heard them, just to make it clear, after I told them what was happening.

However, when it comes to marine radio transmissions, I hear it all the time, and sometimes even use "over". Much less disciplined or congested in the marine context though! The last time I used it was a few weeks ago when the a certain navy (non-EU/non-Commonwealth) decided that they wanted to congregate in the area and started giving a number of annoying civilian boats instructions to get us out of the area. They told us "180" but didn't say 180 what - did they mean "turn 180" or "heading 180" which we had to clarify (they meant heading, as it turns out).

*This is not for T8191 but for those who aren't familiar, ATIS = Automatic Terminal Information Service, basically it's mostly the aviation weather stuff

Going back to the subject of going around with the wheels having touched the ground, I can't even remember where it was or which airline it was, but I had one instance this year, because of preceding traffic being slow to vacate. I went through a phase of flying into fog-prone airports with just Cat I and had so many go-arounds that they stopped registering in my mind.

Last edited by LTN Phobia; Jun 15, 2019 at 12:40 pm