FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Need help on figuring out what to do with my time (how long in each place?)
Old Jun 14, 2019, 6:11 pm
rebelx

Originally Posted by VitaliU
Thee are a thousand factors that can change this (including your budget) but here you go:

4 nights in Venice (including 8/29)
4 nights in Bologna with day trips to Parma, Modena, Ravenna, Ferrara, San Marino (add or remove based on your interests)
4 nights in Florence with day trips to Pisa, Lucca
4 nights in Rome
2 nights in Naples (if you really want to go there)
last night in Rome

Or skip Naples and go to Cinque Terre after Florence. I don’t think that doing both is practical
Thank you! I'd like to be budget conscious, but also don't feel comfortable driving on my own there, so I'll have to rely on wherever public transpo (maybe Uber) can take me. This means I might have to give up some places, especially if getting there takes too long, etc.

I am surprised you gave 4 days in Venice. Lots of people are saying 3 maximum, if that, and many others are saying 2. I hadn't even considered Bologna, nor any of the other day trip locations you mentioned. Of the list, I'd only heard of Ravenna and San Merino, but I thought San Merino may be too similar to Cinque Terre, so I opted to skip that when I was looking at a rough itinerary order (Venice --> Florence --> Cinque Terre --> Rome --> Naples/Pompeii --> Rome (or go straight to Naples from Cinque Terre and then loop back to Rome so I am not going back and forth before my flight).

Considering the train duration is only about 1hr10m from Rome to Naples, perhaps a day trip would not be out of the question? That will allow me to keep my items and airbnb options in Rome, and just go back and forth for maybe 2 days in Naples (1 day in Naples, 1 day Pompeii)? Maybe too short, especially as I have to account for train rides back and forth? Alternatively, I can go straight to Naples from Cinque Terre (probably a train transfer at Rome) and stay there for a couple days and then make my way back to Rome. This should save me about 2hr20min in train commuting time per day.