FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - horrible experience with GA in TPA airport
Old Jun 14, 2019, 9:32 am
omaralt

Originally Posted by arc727
Really? Were you in F when this happened? Because in my experience (at least in Y), if the overhead bins are full on a mainline flight, any overflow bags are gate-checked, meaning they are white-tagged and sent on to the passenger's final destination, where they will then be retrieved at baggage claim. I always thought this was the policy, so it sounds like the GA was correct (albeit rude about it), and a special exception was made for the OP.

again some keep saying this is policy and some are saying it is not. Can you please show me in writing where you see that this is policy?

ive reached out to aa in Twitter. I’ll post their response

Originally Posted by EBiafore99
A lot of people talk about policy, rules, etc. in this situation. I get it, AA has rules; however, the blind following of these rules is why AA gets bad press a lot of times. AA needs to give their employees flexibility to handle situations such as these before they get out of control either through a viral video, the news, etc. (refer to the OKC trip DL "saved").

IMO, the OP was reasonable here. He was travelling with an infant. He packed a carry-on to cover the needs of his infant for an overnight flight. You look at most airline baggage policies, and they make it clear to pack essentials in a carry-on. AA could not accommodate the bag as a carry-on to CLT, so the OP asked to pick it up in CLT so he could at least have it as a carry-on the overnight flight. Given the situation, I see that as a reasonable request. DL can seem to handle reasonable requests, why can't AA?

Also, I must be missing something on short-checking, because I have done this several times in the past on CO, DL and B6. If your connection falls out of certain time window, your bag can be short-checked and you can then re-check it in. The airlines have a bag-matching mandate so if he did not get on his flight to MAD, his bags would be offloaded.
and that really is the main issue. AA should allow agents the flexibility to do these things. somebody who wants to valet check simply because he wants to? sorry sir we cant do that. a family of 5 who are traveling internationally and the overhead bins are full; sure no problem.

and the funny thing is for those who are talking about how the agent simply wanted to get the flight moving asap; it would have been much quicker to simply valet check my bag. my wife was on her hands and knees with the bag open and items spread everywhere while she was trying to figure out what we absolutely needed in the next 12 hrs or so and what could wait, then repack the bag, and then find a bag to carry all that stuff in. he was willing to wait the 10 mins or so for that.. so no, it wasn't about D0 or whatever

some of you really need to get your head out of AA's rear end and realize that justifying this behavior simply allows it to continue. you guys have been beaten and abused by them for so long you are willing to put up with this and make excuse for them.. completely insane..

oh and btw i did purchase MCE seats. paid almost $500 to select our MCE seats in advance... so doesn't that entitle me to overhead space?

Last edited by JY1024; Aug 20, 2019 at 11:54 pm Reason: Merged consecutive posts