FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - horrible experience with GA in TPA airport
Old Jun 14, 2019, 8:25 am
omaralt

Originally Posted by AA_ORDlady
This whole issue stemmed from your arrival late to the gate--which was caused by a Travelocity ticketing issue.
The GA was rude and you should write a complaint about that.
But the fact that traveling internationally with 3 children---you put ALL your personal items in a bag that doesn't fit under a seat---that is not good planning.

i disagree.

I never depend upon finding over head space---that is NOT a guarantee and flights are often full.

you're right. and i've had issues before with full overhead bins and they gate checked to my next destination.

Whatever is needed for any of the family members (clothing, diapers, baby food) should be in a carry on that fits under the seat. Each child has their own small backpack with their change of clothes, snacks, entertainment. Adults have a soft bag with wallet, passports, phone, medications, etc.

not sure if you travel with kids but having a 4 year old carrying around a backpack means i will be carrying it in the next 5 mins. wallet, passport, and phone stay in my pocket

Plus---you can't access the roller board during take off and landing, or if there is turbulence.

yes. ipads and kids entertainment devices come out immediately upon boarding. they go in the seatback pocket. we keep one formula bottle ready at all times. we have a good system; we travel internationally at least twice a year. we used to do the whole thing where everybody has a backpack but it became an issue when i was carrying everything. we have consolidated into one bag and has been working great for the past few years

Additionally, checking in online 24 hours prior would have probably given you a heads up that there was a ticket issue. Which may have been resolved over the phone (either with AA or Travelocity) prior to airport arrival. If not---then you know to get to the airport at least 3 hours prior (which I would recommend for international anyway) because you have a ticket issue.

when i tried to check in online it gave me a message that traveling with a lap child internationally requires airport check in. didnt think anything of it

When you calm down---look at the root cause and determine what you can do next time to avoid issues.
the root cause is a gate agent that is out of control. he obviously had the ability to gate check but didnt want to.