FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Definitive "Booking Japan Airlines (JL) Using AS Miles" Thread - 2019 and Earlier
Old Jun 14, 2019, 7:31 am
skimthetrees

Programs: UA, AS
Originally Posted by sbs2716g
Any idea what is the maximum number of awards (business ) which AS is allocated for each JL flight? Maximum you can search for 7 seats. So does that mean 7 ?
Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
JAL does not even release 7 J seats to their own program, I think the maximum is four seats for JMB members.
AS does not get a separate allocation from other partners as far as I am aware. JAL can have a different allocation for its own program but all partners seem to get the same allocation (subject to POS restrictions which can lead to less showing for AS). Partner allocation at schedule open for US flights is typically 2F and 2J (used to be 4J) and as you might expect these can go quickly and since JAL loads these seats at 360 days out now and AS cannot book them until 330 (ish) days out a lot of that early allotment is taken by other programs. JAL may or may not release more seats later depending on loads. Usually they do release more but you need to monitor carefully for them because others may be looking to book them too. I have not tracked economy seats but there should be more of those released.

7 is just an AS website limitation not a JAL limit. In theory JAL could release more than 7 seats at a time. Not likely for premium cabins but maybe for economy. And, if they did, AS would be able to book a max of 7 and a time on the website (maybe more by calling in?) but once the 7 were booked you could book more in a second booking, up to the amount JAL released.