FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - The Big UPGRADE Thread – all you need to know about AY upgrades
Old Jun 13, 2019, 1:45 am
flyingeph12

Programs: AY+ Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by Ed Size
Thanks, but thats what I did last night, and I wrote there are options in March, but only one for the way back, and to make it a comfortable trip, I rather not use HKG and I have only one option for the flight to BKK. So I think this is not what I call availability (there are no flights in Jan, Feb) and a few flights to BKK in Nov (but no returns which make the trip working). So basically I find this frustrating, Since I have to go at least one more time this year (rather two more times beside my already booked two trips).

A email from AY tells me, that there are no options till the end of the year.

For me that means I will book one or two more flights (four tickets) with any other airline which gives me a good offer in 2019, and in 2020 (where my Platinum with AY is already renewed), I will book what ever fits. No reason to spend any extra € for the requalification in 2021.
Ok. So it sounds like you are not completely flexible (i.e., has to be nonstop, return on 27 Mar doesn't work).

Certainly, there is not ample availability, but availability is also not "none." I guess the other Oneworld airline with which I'm most familiar is AA, and this type of upgrade availability at booking is actually pretty (maybe even very) decent compared to what you will be able to find with AA.