FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - CBP Officer here...Ask me anything!
View Single Post
Old Jun 12, 2019, 7:36 am
chollie
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Originally Posted by maninblack
It goes back to training, where you question everyone the same.

In theory, it goes back to the basics, of seeing how a traveler can afford this trip, and if not, what shady organization is funding it, and what are they really up to.

Occasionally this will lead to something bigger. I've seen a few USCs referred to our anti-terrorism, narco, and baggage teams based off their answers on Primary; these have led to seizures, penalties, and arrests.

And just human decency.

I generally don't ask much of USCs returning from vacation. But hey, you make my job hard, I'll mix it up and see where I can send you. Play the game, it's not all that hard. Or don't, we don't really care.
(bolding mine)

You seem very quick to minimize the number of unprofessional agents and to suggest that the blame is always with tired, uncooperative pax who don't grovel. You act like anyone who gets upset is a whiner.

I think it's a lost cause, but I will try to make you see it one more time.

I read the rules. I do my absolute best to follow the rules. I am polite to the point of groveling, even on occasions when health issues have kicked in and I'm standing there gritting my teeth in pain. I admit to being intimidated by people with the absolute and virtually unchallengeable authority to make my future travels miserable.

The rules say declare every food stuff. "Foods" have been defined repeatedly, including face-to-face in GE interviews, as 'anything that goes in your mouth'.

Do you know the effect it has on someone who is exhausted, stressed, not feeling good, just trying to follow the rules to the letter, when he declares 'cookies' and the agent loudly and aggressively demands 'Why are you wasting my time with this? Get out of here"? Do you know the effect it has when the pax knows that his/her travel can be a complete hassle in the future if this agent decides to submit a report claiming the pax was showing 'attitude' by following the rules?

If I'm having a bad day and did something I would never do, took it out on a CBP agent, at worst, I have had a negative effect on one or a very few agents.

If a CBP agent is having a bad day, s/he may give wrong advice (like saying declaring cookies is wasting his time) or be abusive to dozens of pax.

If I follow the rules and am groveling and polite, there is ZERO excuse for any professional to ever trash me.

Does CBP ever find in favor of the passenger when there's a complaint about mistreatment? Does CBP keep track of complaints submitted per agent?