FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Terrible Experience at LAX, Unable to Apply Upgrades, Told to Take Another Flight
Old Jun 11, 2019, 10:57 pm
Antarius
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by flyingeph12
1. Based on the experiences of another poster above, it's not in fact a simple process. Apparently upgrades with separate PNRs often run into issues.
2. Personally, I think it's debatable that it should be a simple process, especially when you combine the fact of separate PNRs with the fact that the sponsoring account did not have the requisite number of stickers at the time of the upgrade. To me, the latter fact is relevant in determining fault; others can disagree.
3. It is not AA's fault that LAX was a zoo on that particular day. Does that mean OP should have shown up 3 or 4 hours early? No. But I don't think that changes or affects AA's level of fault.
Prior incompetence does not justify future incompetence. Just because they screwed up a simple task before does not make this complicated or summarily acceptable going forward.

I say this as someone who designs and makes IT systems. Either the software handles it or if rare, you have people or training to deal with the workaround. Not act like this is a unique thing.