FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Low-level award seats, low-price paid seats - same or different buckets?
Old Jun 11, 2019, 4:30 pm
nwflyboy

Programs: Northwest, United
Low-level award seats, low-price paid seats - same or different buckets?

It's clear that there are a limited number of award seats (on any given flight) available at the lowest level (costs fewest points).
It's also clear that there are a limited number of paid seats (on any given flight) available at the lowest price (costs fewest dollars).
Once these "low cost" seats get snapped up, additional seats are available, but at higher costs (both higher in points, and at higher purchase price).

My question is: are these seats (low miles price and low dollar price) all from the same bucket, or are there two separate buckets from which the seats come (one bucket for award seats, one bucket for paid seats)?

I'm looking at a flight that appears to have 2 award seats available (until someone takes them). The same flight appears to only have 2 paid seats available at the lowest price (for purchase).
I need 4 seats on this flight. Ideally, I'd first book 2 as award seats (at the lowest award price), then turn around and book 2 more as paid seats, at the lowest cost purchase price.

Once I grab the 2 award seats, does that mean the 2 lowest-price (for purchase) seats would also be gone - in other words, if I book the 2 "cheap seats" as an award, would that result in zero "cheap seats" available to purchase at the lowest price?

I'm assuming that the low-level award seats are in one bucket, and the low-price paid seats for purchase come from a separate bucket, so "using up" the low-level award seats would have no impact on the number of available seats in the paid low-price bucket.

Correct? Thanks.