FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - CBP Officer here...Ask me anything!
View Single Post
Old Jun 11, 2019, 4:09 pm
Skatering

Programs: BA Silver, VS Red, OZ Silver
I have three questions:

I'm a UK citizen with GE resident in Canada, and the lack of a Global Entry card (which isn't issued to us) causes problems. There are issues accessing the GE kiosks at Canadian airports (admittedly not a CBP problem) but I've also encountered situations where I've presented a current I-94 issued by a GE kiosk at YYZ at a land border (regular lane), only to be asked for my GE card as well. This has confused a lot of CBP officers when I say it's never been issued. Are there any plans to expand the issuance of physical cards to non-US citizens or LPRs?

I see many complaints about immigration officers on the internet, admittedly from less savvy travellers, who complain about rude immigration officers. In your experience, are there a significant CBP officers who are rude/unprofessional/vindictive/whatever or are the majority of these complaints arising from passengers who were less-than-cooperative to begin with? I've never had a negative CBP experience and I struggle to reconcile that with others who complain about them non-stop.

Similarly, to what extent (if any) would a traveller being transgender alter your perception when assessing admissibility or general risk profile, or is it a non-issue? I've heard many anecdotes from transgender women who claim they've been denied entry into the US/subjected to intensive screening just for being trans. I'm a trans woman (with matching documents) and I've noticed nothing like this to date, even though my previous name is on my ESTA/GE applications. Again I'm curious if the people I know who cite these issues are experiencing them due to other factors affecting their risk profile or whether trans status in isolation is a red flag for some reason.