FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Upgrade Shenanigans? [Consolidated] {Archive}
Old Jun 11, 2019, 10:38 am
Aussienarelle

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
Originally Posted by N104UA
Exactly! Take what you can get, 10 years ago you didn't know if you were #1 or number #55 on the upgrade list. UA provides a fair amount of info IMHO and way more than many airlines. UA could very easily get rid of the lists and in the app show you that you either have a high, medium, or low chance of your upgrade cleaning, then you have no idea where you finally ended up on the list.

I also do think that UA could do itself a favor by only displaying the names that have a possibility to upgrade, for instance if there are only 12 F seats don't show more than #1 -12 and then as F boards start dropping people from the list, so if 10 people have boarded only show #1 -2. When there are only 12 seats what does it matter to a silver if they are #20 or #65 on the upgrade list?
Except previously you would have folks approach the GAs to ensure they were on the upgrade list (to this day some of us are not on the list when we should be) and then ask what number we are. A silver may not appreciate how far down the list they may actually be.

As someone upthread mentioned the IT appears to have a number of deficiencies in this area so the transparency assists with fewer questions asked of GAs and if I am more than a couple of folks down on the upgrade list I know I am on the list (correctly) and have no chance of the upgrade and can plan appropriately without needing to bug the poor GA.