FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Please load as many carryons as possible
View Single Post
Old Jun 11, 2019, 8:03 am
ethernal

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Alaska MVP, Bonvoy (lol) Ambassador
Originally Posted by Cory6188
I realize that there are obviously tolerances with regards to W&B, but this seems like playing with fire a bit, no? If there's a reason that there are limits in the cargo hold, ostensibly for ensuring safe operation of flight, it seems like a bit of a logical fallacy that suddenly it's safe to operate and within acceptable limits because the same bags, with the same weight, are in the cabin.

I realize that this is all ostensibly taken into account as part of overall dispatch, but man, this one just seems strange.
One can argue with precisely how scientific it is, but there is a thread of logic here. The plane cabin has known storage space (underneath seats, overhead bins), and theoretically the standard passenger weights assume that those areas are fully loaded with passenger luggage (at least assuming it is a full flight).

If anything, since (I believe) standard passengers weights are the same for both mainline and regional jets, regional jets will chronically overestimate passenger weights because most of the luggage cannot fit into the overhead bins. On the flip side, planes with the new "pivot bins" that can carry more luggage are potentially underestimating a full plane load (at least relatively in comparison).

That said, given the tolerances in question, I'd rather underestimate on a regional jet and overestimate on a 737/A320 than the other way around.

For what it's worth, standard weights have slowly crept up over the years due to our expanding waistlines as well as increased use of carry-on luggage. It's possible we're due for another increase.