FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Please load as many carryons as possible
View Single Post
Old Jun 10, 2019, 9:20 pm
MSPeconomist
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by PurdueFlyer
It's actually not, and its because of how the FAA allows carriers to use "standard weights" for weight & balance purposes. Standard weights include you AND your carry-on items too. In the summer, you and your carry on bags weigh 190lbs according to the government. If the overhead bins are full, any bag that has to be gate-checked and put into the belly of the airplane, now has to be "accounted for" to the tune of 30 lbs per bag. I know, it seems asinine, because your 22" rollerboard is still on the airplane whether its in the bin above your head, or in the cargo hold, but the minute the bag goes into the cargo hold, it now counts as more weight.

The agents know the flight is payload optimized, so they are trying to prevent having to gate-check bags which just eats into the available payload margin. Or, think of it like this: every 6 gate checked bags equates to about 1 SDSB passenger who is trying to get on the flight!
I also find the rule very strange in that the total weight loaded onto the aircraft is the same regardless of whether someone carries or checks the bag. I guess the balance part could matter if it's preferable to have weight in the cabin rather than in the belly of the aircraft. However, I'm inclined that the real issue if space (volume) for cargo rather than weight per see.