FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Upgrade Shenanigans? [Consolidated] {Archive}
Old Jun 10, 2019, 5:22 pm
Aussienarelle

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
Originally Posted by LimeySD
UA984, CDG > SFO, June 6th - Premium Plus @ T-24 has 7 seats available, #2 on upgrade list (Polaris almost full and a no hope as usual), @ T-20 bumped to #7 as 5 names added, shortly thereafter the "new" 5 clear into PP. A quick check of fare classes showed PZ = 0 and the seat map shows no change - I was in a middle seat and hoping to move - no seat assignments opened up. Strange me thinks, did 5 PZ seats magically open - I was watching like a hawk and at check-in PZ = 0. #1 clears in PP just before boarding and then someone from the Polaris list clears into the last seat, they were never on the PP upgrade list, they must have declined that option but somehow jumped ahead of my GPU after Polaris filed up. Left at #1 - at least the GA was able to find me an aisle seat. Got to see the FA seat map while she was doing drinks service and none of the "5" were showing any status - only 3 1Ks in PP and 2 were cleared at the gate. How do pax without status get added to upgrade lists ahead of 1Ks using GPUs? That's not how I read the priority list. Asked the FA if they were non-revs but she wouldn't answer. Emailed 1KVoice and got a generic response ignoring the problem. Upgrade shenanigans? I think so.
Because without transparency it looks like shenanigans.

There may well be a great explanation that makes perfect sense but to you and me (my most recent examples were SFO-FRA @ #1 and SFO-SYD @ #2 ) the way it appears does not make sense to those of us who are watching like a hawk to see if our upgrade clears. Now if I were #10 would not be watching as know no chance at all so who cares if there were shenanigans or not.

I also suspect that presently there is also the change to the upgrade system that may be adversely impacting all this, but again without transparency have no idea if this is factual - just a hunch. Yes, I understand privacy concerns but sometimes the semi-optics just make it feel less than correct.

On the bright side LH upgraded me (surprise and delight!) two weeks ago (after my failed SFO-FRA upgrade) with no certificate and perhaps there may some LH FF who got nixed for an upgrade but I would have no idea as no visibility what so ever.