FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - TSA Reportedly Strip Search a Grandmother
Old Jun 10, 2019, 3:52 am
saizai

<redacted by moderator>

Here's his own blog post about the case.

And here's what TSA tells the press "on background", i.e. they're too cowardly to put it on the record with their name attached:

Due to pending litigation, we cannot comment on the specifics of this case. TSA does not conduct strip searches and is committed to ensuring the security of travelers, while treating passengers of all ages with dignity and respect.
On Background:
  • Pat-down procedures are used to determine whether prohibited items or other threats to transportation security are concealed on the person. Travelers may be required to undergo a pat-down procedure if the screening technology alarms, as part of unpredictable security measures, for enhanced screening, or as an alternative to other types of screening, such as advanced imaging technology screening.
  • Travelers may be required to adjust clothing during the pat-down. The officer will advise of the procedure to help anticipate any actions. Pat-downs require sufficient pressure to ensure detection, and areas may undergo a pat-down more than once for the TSA officer to confirm no threat items are detected.
  • Pat-downs are conducted by an officer of the same gender. At any time during the process, passengers may request private screening accompanied by a companion of their choice. A second officer of the same gender will always be present during private screening.

Here's TSA's 2011 blog post about a similar incident (for some reason archived without its comments), which is the exhibit to the complaint. The Internet Archive preserved it with comments, though. And a few contemporaneous articles about that: Turtle Island, Neogaf, & Simple Justice.

Here's my folder of all filings in the caseMengert v TSA, No. 4:19-cv-304 (N.D. Okla., filed June 5, 2019) — which I'll keep updated.

Last edited by TWA884; Jun 10, 2019 at 10:21 am Reason: Comments on moderation