FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Marriott Suite Upgrade Policy (New)
View Single Post
Old Jun 9, 2019, 9:37 am
Vince Chan
Suspended

Originally Posted by Nazdoom
In China, everybody has Platinum status. Everybody. There are too many shortcuts to obtain it. During 4 different JWs/Renaissances in Mainland China told me they average >25% of guests with Platinum status (we're talking 80+ Plat guests per night). This is before counting Titanium or Ambassador guests. How many Bonvoy hotels have that many suites, let alone can afford the lost revenue to upgrade as many as they physically can? It also leads to many practical issues using the lounge.

I'm the last person to defend hotels that skimp on upgrades, but I think it's understandable that China is a hard market to get a suite as a Platinum. A lot of locals travel as families and book suites because they need all the space, further reducing potential upgrades.

A manager at a Chinese JW told me they train their staff as follows: try to give titanium and ambassador entry level suite, if not available, try the better suite, if not available, then deluxe room; for platinums, try to give them deluxe room, but if they push for suite, try to claim full house, then if they push to manager then try to find entry level suite only.

If you are Plat, the takeaway IMO is to use your SNAs if you need a suite in China. Even Ambassador is not guaranteed (without pre-arranged upgrade) because the hotel may run out of suites if Plats escalate for all the suites before the time you check-in.

How was the situation in USA? I know that for Hilton, almost everyone got a diamond.

In developing market, such as south east Asia, it was much easier to get a suite and receive quality elite recognize.

I 'm lucky I don't live and travel in mainland china, too many P overwhelming the hotels.

And how come is that during SPG era , it was much easier to get an suite? But it was not difficult to get an Plat in SPG and much easier to maintain the status with 25s and a max of 3 stay per night.

Last edited by Vince Chan; Jun 9, 2019 at 9:49 am