FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Traveling to Mexico City for work - what do I need to know?
Old Jun 7, 2019, 11:14 am
JDiver
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by onetess
I travel quite a bit for work but have never traveled to Mexico City. I'm a little nervous, to be honest, though I'm not sure why. Do you think a woman traveling alone is an issue down there? How can I order a taxi when needed? (I'm so used to Ubering but don't think I would want to do that there, even if it were available.) My work location is about an hour from the airport, and I expect that the hotel won't be walkable, so I'll need to get back and forth.

Thanks for any advice.
You’ll find an unfortunate number of Mexican men misinformed with ideas “gringas” traveling alone are “liberated” - which they think is sexually actively and undoubtedly believe that means for some weird reason they’ll qualify. (In the US, some American males have these deformed stereotypes about Swedish women.) You may still find “piropos” and sexualized comments on the street, and in a crowded metro some unwelcome touching.

As to transport between your workplace and hotel, in addition to Uber there are “sitios” - taxi ranks. These are stable area platforms for taxi travel, and nearly every home and business place has a relationship and the number of the local “sitio “ so they can call a reliable taxi.