FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - big airlines just don't get it, especially in USA
Old Jun 7, 2019, 8:50 am
BearX220
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by pinniped
So basically, Moxy is going to be a reboot of the 90's-era Midwest Express.
That sounds like a very valid comparison, but ME as we knew it then would not work today in a virtual-cartel environment: no alliances / partnerships (although ME had one with NW toward the end), thin frequencies, Wall Street pressure to strip away "frivolous" amenities, etc.

Originally Posted by pinniped
WN's expansion in the past 20 years has filled in a lot of the gaps where a Midwest type player would have a niche. You could probably say the same about Jetblue in the east and Alaska in the west.
WN in 2019 is a good business airline for the short-to-medium haul: frequent service, more point-to-point flights, no change fees / unused ticket value banked, usually fair value. JetBlue even 20 years after founding is not a good business airline: thin frequencies, low utility unless you live in NY or BOS, bad OTP, train wreck during irrops, no interlining / bookover when trouble hits. If Moxy Xeroxes the JetBlue schema and aims for the business market I don't see how it gets traction, no matter what airports it serves. Southwest as you say fulfills much of that demand with more choice and predictability,