FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - big airlines just don't get it, especially in USA
Old Jun 6, 2019, 5:19 pm
OZFLYER86
Suspended

Originally Posted by tmiw
According to FlightAware, it's just Qantas and Virgin Australia flying BNE-PER. It's no surprise that you're going to have to pay a fair bit of money.

Meanwhile, I count five airlines flying LAX-JFK, both of which are hub airports. Prices are indeed lower due to the additional competition; Google Flights seems to show around $250-300ish in economy if you book far enough in advance. Also, there's presumably good enough loads to justify all five carriers' presence, which implies that people are generally okay with flying in/out/through hubs.

No one flies to Carlsbad now. And that's the main point I was trying to make--I don't think there's that much demand in the US for what you're suggesting. (Otherwise, United would still be flying to LAX and maybe a few other destinations too from there.)
We really only have 2 major airlines in OZ. Qantarse has Junkstar(Jetstar) as their low cost & Virgin has Tiger as their low cost. QF/VA decide when & where the LCCs fly to. Plus we only have 24 million people in an area almost the same as mainland USA (with a big bloody desert in the middle). What's USA mainland population ? 250 million ? Moxy only need a very small % to make it work.

Originally Posted by COSPILOT
WestPac tried to use COS as a hub decades ago. We have the runways to handle any aircraft, but that doesn't mean an airline can make it profitable. We waisted money adding a terminal for them that was never used. I don't hold my breath for anything in aviation, as it's simply a waste of time.
westpac were low cost. Moxy is not trying to be low cost. They will be cheaper with last minute fares than the big boys(which is where the big boys make their money). They won't be competing with LCCs.

Last edited by JY1024; Jun 11, 2019 at 9:19 am Reason: Merged consecutive posts - please use multi quote