FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - The dumbest travel-related mistake you ever made?
Old Jun 6, 2019, 9:43 am
Mr. Vker

Programs: Marriott Rewards Lifetime Titanium, Amex Plat, Hertz Gold 5*, National Exec, AA Plat
My client territory recently expanded and I had to make my first trip to Houston. I was in the middle of an AA challenge, so I flew BWI-CLT-IAH (Could have gone nonstop to Hobby on WN). I still use a Garmin Nav system when I travel. i just don't like having my phone as a phone and a nav system. Yes, I am a dinosaur. It does help that more and more rentals have nav. Anyway, took about 45-50 mins to get to the hotel which was next to the client. In fact, I didn't even have to move the car that morning, I just walked to their building for the meeting and drove back to the airport. However, the night before (as oft I do), I put the airport location into the nav. Just used points of interest...airports...and the first one that popped up I selected. (I know you know where this is going.) Wow, now its only 25 mins to the airport. That's great. i guess traffic was a real issue the day before. (note I have a TERRIBLE sense of direction. I can walk out of the grocery store and wonder if I even drove there because I have no idea where to begin looking for the car.) So, I begin to drive... as I approach the airport, I see a lot of signs for Southwest airlines. Looking for the car rental return, I finally realize...I am at Hobby. Thank goodness I was early enough to fix my error and hightail it to IAH to get home.