FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Seat reservation fees increase
View Single Post
Old Jun 6, 2019, 4:51 am
AJNEDC

Programs: AA,SPG, Delta, Amtrak, JB
Originally Posted by LTN Phobia
I think the big picture needs to be considered for pay-for-seat-assignment to be seen as rational.

The big picture being that it puts other people who have booked before you off reserving a 'good' seat, and therefore, when you make a booking, you can still get a 'good' seat even if you do not have a higher level status with that alliance.

In fact, at $9,000 it may well be that it actually does come with a free seat assignment as more expensive fares do come with a free seat assignment.

It is also a 'benefit' to those who have access to free seat assignment by virtue of OW status, as it also keep 'good' seats available to them even if they book late, because having to pay for it often turns people off assigning them.

Then, if someone who is keen enough to pre-assign their preferred seat, they would also have a reasonable chance of getting their preferred seat because not so many people who booked before them have assigned them free of charge.

In other words, keeping good seats available is the benefit to some people, and the rationale for considering pay-for-seat-assignment a good thing.

Just as an illustration of the disadvantage of free seat assignments, I frequently fall victim to free seat assignments with other airlines, removing options for me to select one my preferred seats because they are all taken because they are free to assign, despite having their top-tier status. Frankly, I do not like it for a very selfish reason (I get free seat assignments and access to preferred seats based on status).
I do not understand what you are saying. Whether the prices for business class is $9,000 or $15,000 or $20,000 makes no difference because it is BA's policy all classes except first class pay additionally for pre- booking a seat. No worries though: You find this acceptable and fly BA. I find this unacceptable and do not. We all have choices and make use of them. That's a good thing...