FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Thinking of jumping onto Hilton
View Single Post
Old Jun 5, 2019, 8:23 am
uscgto

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Amex Plat, National Elite
Originally Posted by arlflyer
Math sounds spot on to me. I generally hit the numbers that you list, and my historical return on spend (ratio of best available rate for nights redeemed / total spend at Hilton) has always been in the range of 20-25%. The 49K marginal points is probably around about $250 in value (so that takes the marginal cost down to 450 - 95 - 250 = $105). If you use the resort credit, airline fee credit, and/or WA/Conrad credit from the Aspire you come out ahead. Annual weekend night is a wash because with the Ascend you'll still hit the spend requirement.

I've been a 50/50 Hilton/MR guy lately, Diamond at HH and Plat at MR; I've found my personal return to be better at Hilton, YMMV. I think that for someone doing as many stays as you, splitting and getting top tier at both is a good diversification play (especially if you're going to places where the footprints might be complementary or one chain might not have a presence). Just my opinion.
Thanks for the reply.

It's comforting to hear opinion (positive or negative) from someone in similar shoes.

I fly 6-8 times a week. So I am sure I can split the airline incidental cost between my Platinum and Hilton Aspire (if I apply for one). Resort fee as well, of course.

I forgot to add, the biggest plus at Hilton lately:

- For about 10% extra cost - I have a proper suite kitchen (I really like to cook and meal prep for 2-3 days, ever few days) vs a 1 bedroom with Marriott.
- The aforementioned Hilton property (Homewood suites) shares parking lot with my next fav 4 points Sheraton and happen to be in one of the best parts of the town

I think I'll just splurge for a Hilton Aspire card and get slightly more points to start with and higher earning potential (14x vs 12 x and 7x vs 6x)