FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - What’s your best “I can’t believe that I made that flight” story?
Old Jun 4, 2019, 2:20 pm
elbrazo63

Programs: Fedex
ORD Delay

I had booked a 20 hour layover in Chicago so I could go watch the 2017 BMW golf Championship in Lake Forest Ill, part of the FedEx Cup playoffs. I was staying at the Hilton in ORD so Friday morning I took the blue line from ORD downtown and then a Metra train out to Lake Forest and watched about 6 hours of golf. My flight home was departing at 7 pm so I boarded an afternoon Metra train back to Chicago for what should have been a 1 hour ride. About half way back to Chicago our electric Train engine died in the middle of no where. For safety reasons they wouldn't let people off the train, not that we could go anywhere. They told us we would have to wait an hour for the next train to come along and push us into Chicago. So we waited an hour until the next train arrived, connected up to us and then pushed us, very slowly I might add, all the way back to Chicago. We arrived at the station around 7 PM, I had already resigned myself to having missed my 7 PM flight. I took the Blue line back to ORD and just after you get off the trains there are arrival/departure boards. I looked up to that my flight was delayed until midnight! Still had time to make it to the lounge and have a few snacks and drinks before departure. Couldn't believe I made that flight!