FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Norwegian Air stability through summer?
View Single Post
Old Jun 4, 2019, 11:23 am
SusanDK

Originally Posted by Often1
It is not simply insolvency, but both last minute schedule cuts and IRROPS which pose problems. Some or all of that may or may not be fixed by EC 261/200r or insurance, but it can be a slog. While not every carrier will rebook OA for a 1-2 hour delay, when the wait is 2-3 days, it is not much of a worry. With ULCC's on long-haul, this can be a real problem.

Presuming that one is budget-minded in the first instance, it is worth considering whether the cheapest ticket is always the least expensive journey.

Sitting in a hotel for 2-3 days and hoping that one will be reimbursed at some point and fretting about missed work back home is a consideration which goes well beyond insolvency.
We have the advantage of having homes at both ends, and now being retired so missing work isn't an issue. Not that I want to deal with the kind of nightmare IRROPS that I've heard about with Norwegian. I can handle a cancellation if I know in advance; sitting on a runway for hours on end or being detoured to Newfoundland is another story.

The bigger problem may be what USA_flyer referred to. I'm not sure what would happen if my DY flight is cancelled while in CPH and I'm at the end of my 90/180 allowable stay. Would I be forced to purchase a ticket at any price to leave Schengen if DY only reschedules for a week later?

For us, we aren't flying DY to be budget-minded as a first priority. We actually value the non-stop flight above anything. After the itinerary, then we look at price and certainly are budget conscience at that point. All things being equal, if I offered my husband a DY flight in premium economy that is direct and then told him we could fly SK or LH or DL in business class for the same price but with a connection, he would tell me to book DY.