Old Jun 4, 19, 3:25 am
A1pax

Originally Posted by malagajohn View Post
I think Marambio and myself are the only regular ferry travellers of the posters here.

Buquebus is the best option . Colonia Express is cheaper but their BS AS terminal is a little off the beaten track and they onlt travel to Colonia de Sacramento.

Passenger figures are down about 20/25% on last year and Bquebus is now discounting on its own website - Look for the OUTLET signs...
Many thanks, malagajohn, for the additional info. It will be a quick trip for us to South America in September - from LHR to Santiago, Chile for 2 nights, then to Montevideo, Uruquay for 2 nights, then to Buenos Aires, Argentina for 2 nights, then to Iguazu Falls for 3 nights, then to Rio de Janiero, Brazil for 2 nights before returning to LHR. We have booked BA flights from / to LHR, LATAM flights within South America - except for the ferry from Montevideo to Buenos Aires. I have been researching the Buquebus ferry from Montevideo to BA on a Sunday. We are likely to stay at a boutique hotel (Alma) near the ferry terminal in Montevideo (walking distance) so will take the morning ferry to BA. The question which I have is how best to buy the Buquebus ferry tickets? online or on the day at the ferry terminal? Glad you mentioned Colonia Express that the terminal for it is a bit out of the way - we don't want to get lost, so will stick with Buquebus.

Other questions which I have are: Are hop-on hop-off buses in Montevideo and BA a good option to see these cities on short stay? In Santiago and Rio we will hire private tour guides for the sights. What are the best ways to get from MVD to hotel (Alma)? and from BA ferry terminal to hotel (Fierro). We are not Uber as hubby will not use it. In BA, I thought of staying at the Hilton (as it is within walking distance of ferry terminal, but hubby said he would be wary of walking around BA for safety reasons) but it is rather expensive, so maybe Fierro a better option?