FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Delayed LGW - PMI BA2572 June 2
View Single Post
Old Jun 3, 2019, 2:51 pm
Takiteasy

Programs: Mucci de l'Arbitrage
Originally Posted by 13901
Yesterday's BA2572 had a very lengthy delay due to a return to stand for tech reasons to which followed an aircraft change... so definitely EC261able.

Speaking of EC261, my biggest chagrin with it - and I say it very well aware of my own hypocrisy, for I too benefitted from it with Lufthansa - is that compensation applies for technical reasons too. I understand the reason why, but I also know from experience that many (most, indeed) issues aren't exactly predictable. What worries me is that the prospective of having to pay 600 euro/head to 250+ passengers might force somebody, somewhere, to sign off an aircraft when they shouldn't, with dire consequences. Pressure to release an aircraft for service has been one of the human factor causes (together with fatigue) of several high profile accidents, including a few in BA. Some have made headlines, some haven't; but regardless, they happened. Work-Time limitations have been introduced to deal with fatigue and they're very successful; however it seems to me we're going the opposite way with regards to pressure to release aircrafts on time.

My own 2p of course.
Do you seriously think two (or three) flight crew would would take risks with their own life if they were not happy with the state of the aircraft? Despite all its shortcomings I don’t see that happening at BA (yet).