FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Help plan a honeymoon! (LAX > FCO, BCN > LAX)
Old Jun 2, 2019, 5:58 pm
chgoeditor
Moderator: Information Desk, Women Travelers, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold
Congratulations on your engagement! While I don't have specific suggestions re. your flights, if you have good credit, I'd highly recommend making good use of credit card sign-up bonuses when paying wedding vendors.

I got marries last week, and we did a series of new credit cards to pay for various vendors (paying off all credit card balances immediately). We probably should have done four cards, but only ended up doing three: a new Marriott Chase card for him (he already has Marriott status and stays with them several times a month, I already had the SPG Amex), a new Chase Sapphire Reserve for me (he already had one) and a new Hyatt Chase card for me (I'm not necessarily a Hyatt person, but I had a business conference that was requiring me to stay at a Hyatt, and we're doing a spring 2020 honeymoon to Asia so we knew we'd use the free card anniversary room + the points).

Optimally we would have done a fourth, and I applied for a Barclay card (can't remember which one) but they flagged my application because of credit freezes and I never bothered to pursue it. We probably left one big bonus on the table by not having another new card for our final round of vendor payments. Live and learn! That said, we charge all of our day-to-day expenses so could easily hit the bonus thresholds for another card or two if we wanted to take the hit to our credit score. (I'm normally have an 850, so seeing a score of 830 like I have now makes me cringe.)