FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - ARCHIVE: Chances of Upgrade Clearing and Availability (2019 master thread)
Old Jun 2, 2019, 4:40 pm
deac83

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Amb Elite & LT Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by FleyeSkyHigh
You are correct. AA is definitely overselling Y into W/J and overselling W into J (thereby underselling J). Revenue management will only do it when Y is oversold and the goal is to claim revenue that otherwise would go unclaimed. It's my understanding that is largely a manual process and one that's not automated yet influenced by historical sales data based on day of week, time of year, time of day and prior year sales for the particular class. Incidentally the availability of C space is now nearly 100% automated by algorithm.

The pro-active calling of passengers is handled by a completely different 'same day' department which is an extension of customer relations. The purpose is to minimize impact and large payouts at the gate due to bumping rules. What you experienced clearly was a case of the right arm not talking to the left arm and some groups work off systems that do not have a overall picture of whats going on (Sabre vs SAGE vs others).
Appreciate the feedback. AA has either misjudged how they recognize EXP loyalty or have decided that we can't or won't change (i.e. I'm based in DFW so what choice do I really have).