FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - San Diego <-> Ensenada by public transportation
Old May 31, 2019, 8:24 am
JDiver
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by John Galt
I've searched the forum but unable to find.

What is the most convenient way to get from San Diego to Ensenada?

Most of the sources I've found involve a local bus to the San Ysidro crossing, walking across, taking a taxi to the bus terminal in Tijuana, then taking a bus to Ensenada.

I've found a couple of hotels that seem to offer a shuttle...but they are pricey.

Is there a solution?
The easiest seems to be ABC Bus Mexico Baja Shuttle link. Two daily departures from Central San Diego to Tijuana, Rosarito Beach and Ensenada, Baja California, departing from the Santa Fe Train Station for $30.

Day Trip to Tijuana - San Ysidro Border Crossing

San Diego Trolley Blue Line and by foot across the border to the ABC / Mexicoach bus is the other easy way. After crossing:

Following the pedestrian path towards the main commerce district, the first thing you will see is tourist junk and taxis. Keep walking straight for another block; you’re headed to the Plaza Viva. You will soon see a McDonald’s to your left-hand side about a block ahead.

Once you get to the McDonald’s, make a left, which is south. You’ll walk less than a block and make the next right. Once you make the right, the bus station is on your right hand side about 20 meters ahead. This bus station, the ABC station, only goes to Ensenada. The buses for Ensenada leave every 15 minutes. This past June, I bought a ticket for $134 pesos, which is slightly over $10 USD. You can pay in dollars or pesos. Link to San Diego Reader article (dated, but useful; same contributor posted in Trip Advisor.)
Greyhound offers shuttles downtown bus terminal to downtown bus terminal (central de autobuses) for $14-$28, a few of them daily. See busbud Link.) This will allow connecting to the bus to Ensenada. ~$12 from the station to Ensenada, hourly, and it takes about 90 minutes to get to Ensenada.

Uber can now take you San Diego - Tijuana (~$100), but not back.

(The problem with shuttles is they’re not likely very cost effective to operate because they are stuck in border controls until every last passenger is accounted for - the hand bag only through the guy with several boxes of miscellaneous the Aduana agents decide to have open every box for inspection, in my experience taking a bus SD - Ensenada.)
Attached Images