FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Consolidated "Refunds/Cancellations Due to Illness/Death" Thread [Merged]
Old May 30, 2019, 6:31 pm
mangoMan

Programs: AA 1MM GLD, Hertz #1 Gold, bunch of other programs w/no status
Originally Posted by N104UA
Were they Y and J fares?
No.

Originally Posted by N104UA
For his girlfriend, I don't know the circumstances of their relationship but domestic partners are included in the definition of family members (I have a family member that has had the same "live in girlfriend" for 20 years but in most states would be considered domestic partners or common law married). So if she would qualify as that I just explain to his doctor you booked separate tickets and if she could get a separate letter.
They have been together about 15 years, but maintain separate residences, so no common-law status. The UA terms specifically mention "traveling companion" but I'm not sure that applies if the companion is on a separate reservation. I don't think the doctor would write a letter for her as she is not his patient, but I suppose she could upload my dad's doctor letter and state she was traveling with him (proof being he paid for the ticket) and see what happens.