FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Norwegian Air stability through summer?
View Single Post
Old May 30, 2019, 7:55 am
SusanDK

Originally Posted by iahphx

Norwegian's real problem is the non-peak transatlantic season, which I'd say is about 8 months of the year. There's more supply than demand for coach seats during that time, and the big boys make their money (to the extent they make money) on premium cabin travellers after the summer leisure rush.
While my data point is admittedly small and anecdotal, having flown transatlantic on Norwegian 9 times in a little over a year, I have not seen a single empty seat in either class (prem or econ) on any flight. This has been all from CPH to Florida (FLL or MCO), but in January (twice), April (twice), May, August, October, November and December. I know they offer premium economy upgrades for a reasonable price close to (or on?) the day of travel, but having booked several of our flights fairly late (i.e. within a few weeks of travel), I can attest that the premium seat map was nearly full when we booked. And they've usually announced during boarding that the flight is full. (Although our last flight at the end of April did have some last-minute bookings by people who were affected by the SK strike.)

That's why it is surprising to me that they are dropping all winter flights from CPH. MCO was always seasonal (summer) and the FLL flight was only twice per week in winter, but was full whenever we took it.