FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Spire Elite Status + Executive Lounge access
Old May 30, 2019, 7:21 am
Super Mario

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Global Entry
Originally Posted by craigthemif
You won't find too many people agreeing with you. Superior? Low redemption values? How about when you add all of the cost of breakfast, drinks, etc. that other other chains give their elites for free?

The best anyone can honestly say about IHG is that they run a program - no point saying "loyalty" since there aren't any elite benefits of note - that is different from the other major chains and that when IHG hands out lots of promo bonus points it works for some people.
I agree with CalItalian. If you use IHG's program to your advantage, it is second-to-none in redemption values. I've had plenty of stays that were 1-2 cents per point, on top of plentiful point returns. I've always gotten great room upgrades and late checkout with my Spire Ambassador. I like my Hilton Diamond too. Sometimes there is an instance where one may better suit me than the other. I have no interest in using overpriced Hyatt and Marriott.

Some people are so completely obsessed with getting things for "free" that they let it overshadow all common sense. Some people will pay $40 more for the room if that means a "free breakfast". Breakfast is not the end of the world, and can very easily be had through infinite options. While I enjoy a good lounge access (was great having one at a work conference two weeks ago. Everyone was jealous!), they are often at much more limited and expensive hotels than comparable options. Let's be honest. The drinks and food in there aren't anything special. They are nice to have, but not worth it at a high cost.