FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - big airlines just don't get it, especially in USA
Old May 30, 2019, 7:14 am
84fiero

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Originally Posted by OZFLYER86
& THIS

They plan to fly from secondary airports in the New York (Stewart), DC (Baltimore), Chicago (Gary, Indiana), San Francisco (Oakland, San Jose), and LA (Burbank, Ontario, Orange County) areas. They’ll fly to places like Orlando Sanford and St. Petersburg, Florida.

They want to fly to Mesa, Arizona rather than Phoenix, Concord not Charlotte, and Fort Worth Meacham. Even Cleveland would be served via Burke Lakefront Airport.
https://viewfromthewing.boardingarea...and-60-planes/

below is from wikipedia

Keep in mind those are speculative, though educated, guesses. Nothing has been confirmed or set in stone as yet and won't be for some time.

Originally Posted by COSPILOT
Totally agree with what you are thinking, but what I want doesn't matter if 95% of the others disagree. I'd park a cheap helicopter in my driveway if I could get away with it.
And by the way, where are those flying personal cars that they've been promising us since 1950?

if you live close to a 2ndary airport, it will be a no brainer. Allegiant form what I know, does lots of very small towns very infrequently. Suggest Moxy might do some 2ndary airports many times a day. Don't think Moxy are trying to take over the world, but just make it easier for passengers & business people will love using smaller airports, as quick to get in & out of.
Well, Moxy is willing to do so, as long as there is a viable business case for it. I hope they succeed, as we need more competition, and I'd certainly give them a try if they meet my needs for a particular trip. But success is far from a sure bet.

Whether it's a no-brainer depends on the details. As I mentioned before, the thin frequency and lack of robust backup options in the case of IRROPS is a limiting factor for the likes of Allegiant - definitely for business travelers but even for some leisure travelers.

heard the same arguments about Sydney airports. If a 2ndary airport is closer & easier to get in & out of, it will be used. Time is money & if a business person can save 3 or 4 hours stuffing around on a day trip, then it will be very popular.
It just depends on the specifics of the services offered...yes business travelers like convenience and saving time, but just as importantly in many cases, they need flexibility and good backup options.