FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - FAQ: Skipping Segment, Hidden City / Point Beyond / Throw Away Ticketing (master thd)
Old May 29, 2019, 1:40 pm
OskiBear

Programs: AA PLTPRO, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist
Hidden City Feedback

It's been a few years since I've booked a hidden city ticket so would appreciate some feedback on the viability of my scenario.

I ended up booking a one-way award ticket to Argentina this summer and needed to get back to LAX. However, one-ways were pricey to purchase so I ended up buying EZE-LAX / LAX-JFK-EZE. The "return" leg is several months later and I actually need the LAX-JFK leg of the ticket. I intentionally booked the LAX-JFK-EZE flights with a 6.5hour connection in New York.

I guess the worst case scenario is some sort of IRROPS where I get re-routed from LAX to a different connection point. In the eventuality, I've purchased a fully refundable ticket LAX-JFK on JetBlue and will just abandon the AA ticket.

However, a couple of points that I'd appreciate some feedback on:

1. Is it an issue to do this on an international itinerary, abandoning the international segment? I'll have my passport (actually leaving for LHR a few days later from JFK not on AA) and am fully able to enter Argentina (no visa issues, etc). I won't have checked bags.

2. Do I have a strong argument to not be re-routed given that I booked a long New York connection and would make the argument that I have business to conduct there?