FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - USA contactless credit/debit/transit (2017 - 2021)
Old May 29, 2019, 7:25 am
ecs0013

Originally Posted by tmiw
I think interchange does play into it, at least a little. Assuming they're paying x% + y cents per transaction, they'd only have to pay the latter once for a $25 reload compared to something like 10*y for 10 $2.50 drinks. I imagine the fixed per-transaction fee is a larger share of Starbucks' card processing considering the large number of low-value transactions.
That's a really good point - I guess I'm so used to thinking of fees as a percentage of a single transaction that I didn't think of Starbucks (and similar places) "combining" all of those into a single reload as far as credit/debit cards are concerned.

Originally Posted by tmiw
Any recent reports on contactless at Shell? I tried tapping my CFU inside the other day and the terminal didn't recognize it at all. That particular location also had contactless readers on the pumps, albeit still disabled. Hopefully they're not another merchant that had to disable it to meet Visa's EMV contactless mandate.
I have yet to see a Shell station work with contactless (must be in the wrong region) - there are two standalone stations that show "RFID disabled" when you try to do a read and every Shell with a Circle K in my area (as I've mentioned up the thread) always shows "declined, see cashier" immediately after entering a zip code. This was the case before and after Visa's mandate.