FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Spire Elite Status + Executive Lounge access
Old May 29, 2019, 5:34 am
IAN-UK
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
If you want a measure of certainty about breakfasts, lounges and your future in a hotel programme, you simply will not get it with IHG. If it's important to you, think about Hilton Honors.

I was thrown out of the RA programme after 14 years, so grabbed the top status deals offered by Hilton and Marriott/SPG. The transfer of 90+ nights a year from IC's, and a generous handful from other IHG hotels, will allow me to maintain my new status in both programmes with ease.

In practice I've settled on Hilton, complemented by stays at those IC's that continue to treat me well, and nights at other IHG hotels that offer value (there are some!). And I've well over a million IHG points to use up.

Although many Hiltons are in an odd 4 to 5 star limbo, and Hilton executive lounges are no match for the better IC club facilities, I am really pleased that:
  • I get breakfast at any Hilton, Doubletree or Hilton Garden Inn. And that happens on award nights, too. No question. No uncertainty.
  • Where there's an executive lounge, I'm welcome to use it. Again, that's the case on award night, too. No negotiating. No uncertainty.
  • ditto room ugrades: paid stays and reward nights.
  • I know exactly what i need to do to maintain status. Again, no uncertainty.
  • Lifetime Diamond status is attainable.
  • It's a single cohesive programme encompassing all the major Hilton brands
And, blessedly, there's none of the silliness and confusion of $20/$50 credits which are the latest features of the Ambassador programmes.

Don't get me wrong. RA + IC is a very sweet spot. But the IC footprint isn't that extensive, and there's always the risk you'll get kicked in the teeth if you don't match the opaque requalification requirements