FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - USA EMV cards: Availability, Q&A (Chip & PIN or Signature) [2017>]
Old May 28, 2019, 7:22 pm
RedLight2015

Programs: Skymiles
Originally Posted by HotelHacker
Hmm, well I guess you could technically say Western Europe did in fact get to 99% in 2017 after all, if you round up the 98.6. That figure decreased slightly for 2018 though, which is a little interesting. Just goes to show the last few percentage points are the hardest to get. There's always going to be some holdouts, maybe even for some unknown technical reasons.

It would be nice if they distributed those figures a bit better though. The US is a category of its own, but Canada has flown the coop and joined Latin America, somehow. And then there's just "Asia," which lumps together some of the most populated countries on Earth, and apparently has swallowed up Australia as well? And although that region is ahead in transactions, only about half of the cards there are EMV cards? Seems very low given the population there.
Honestly I haven't had any trouble really lately with cashier's handing me the terminal if I say "Apple Pay", even if the terminal itself doesn't support it! LOL!

Last edited by RedLight2015; May 28, 2019 at 10:04 pm