FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - USA EMV cards: Availability, Q&A (Chip & PIN or Signature) [2017>]
Old May 28, 2019, 2:53 pm
tmiw
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by RedLight2015
I think the customer facing equipment still is being installed actively. See: Amazon, AMC theaters, etc. it’s only restaurants!
I don't know if these count as restaurants, but I had issues at a donut shop and a frozen yogurt place with my Diners Club MC early on because the terminal wasn't to or couldn't be handed to customers. (I haven't been back to either of those since.)

More recently, I was at an independent bookstore today that kept their Ingenico standalone terminals on the cashier's side of the counter (Warwick's, for those in San Diego). I don't know if they'd let you try contactless, but FWIW it looks like they'd be able to hand them to customers for PIN entry.

That all said, restaurants do indeed seem to be the biggest culprits (at least sit-down ones; counter service seem to be less likely to do it but it still happens somewhat often). Perhaps contactless will fix things at counter service establishments eventually, assuming they don't just end up tapping cards for customers instead.

Originally Posted by mikesyr18
I find very few cashiers understand all of that
It may have been more of an issue a few years ago but in my experience, most cashiers will actually turn on the terminal now when they see you trying to tap the terminal with a mobile device. However, if contactless isn't really used much where you live, I can see some still giving people issues.