FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - OIG: Needs to Improve Efforts to Retain, Hire, and Train Its Screeners
Old May 28, 2019, 11:19 am
Boggie Dog
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by WillCAD
That was my understanding as well, but do the math.

I recall seeing an article mentioned recently that TSA wants to hire as many as 2,000 new screeners this year, while the average over the last few years was something like 1,200.

1,200 new hires per year out of a work force of 60,000 is about two percent. Even their goal this year of 2,000 equates to only 3.3% of 60,000. To me, that's a small percentage being sent to the academy. Or am I remembering the total work force number incorrectly? That could skew my perception.

My hope for the academy was not that every TSO would attend it, but that it would be used to train the trainers. Instead of a screener training course, the academy should be a screener trainer training course, turning out uniformly trained instructors who would then return to their home airports and hold classes to properly retrain the entire workforce. Unsurprisingly, this doesn't seem to have happened, and TSOs who learn things at the academy return to their home airports and are most likely told, "Well, I don't care what you learned at the academy, we do it different here!"
How many times have there been reports of "We don't do it that way at my airport"? On the TSA Blog, here on FT and in other mediums. And the kicker is that every screener gets to decide if something is allowed or not regardless of SOP.

The TSA training school runs two weeks. If they start a class every week with no missed days and allow about 35 people per class that would only account for about 1800~ new trainees per year. We know that holidays and other down time will limit the number of classes that can be started each year. By my figuring TSA can't even get the new hires trained each year.