FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - What's up with ridiculously expensive one-way tickets from CX site?
Old May 28, 2019, 9:25 am
Cambo

Programs: MPC-DM, Enrich-Plat
Originally Posted by the_emerald
Like @flubber said, even if I call in to get a cheap "virtual" Y return, I might have to pay on top to cancel the flight? Sounds awful. I wonder what the cancellation fees are in general.

Even if worst case I book a virtual PY return for £1900, that would still be a £400 cancellation fee before I break even. Thoughts?
My suggestion is a mixed cabin booking, where your return is in the cheapest flying (and if possible booking) class. Whenever you go the cancel-return route, your WHOLE ticket will be recalculated to the factual one-way flight you fly and expensive again (+ cancel fee). Forget about cancellation, refunds, etc, unless you have pretty flexible tickets (you would know so, since you would have paid a fortune for it). Just buy the cheapest return, when possible/wanted mixed cabin

i usually get presented EUR 300 cancellation fee (it's visible in the ticket conditions, when you book). YMMV.