FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Do Alaska 737s always smell?
View Single Post
Old May 27, 2019, 11:46 pm
GagaPilot

Programs: DL DM
Do Alaska 737s always smell?

I'm a fairly loyal DL flyer and have maintained status on DL for the last few years and fly them 98% of the time. However, over the last 2 years I have had 2-3 trips per year for work reasons where my company books me on AS. It's no big deal. I live in ANC so AS is very prevalent here. However, I have noticed on each of the trips I have flown on AS the planes always smell "musty." The first few times I just happened to think we were on a plane that hadn't undergone a thorough cleaning prior to boarding. But it's noticeable on every trip. I just returned yesterday from an AS flight and the smell hits me as soon as I'm onboard. I flew DL the week prior and didn't notice anything. WN and TG in the not so distant past either and nothing compares to the smell of an AS 737. It's mostly a damp musty smell. Does anyone else know what I'm talking about? Overall I like AS. Friendly crews, much quicker boarding than DL, and really the only other negative thing I can say is that one must be "unplugged" for takeoff and landing. But the smell... it's really to the point I would pay a premium to avoid AS if possible.