FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - AMEX Delta Companion certificate Consolidated Thread
Old May 25, 2019, 5:46 am
gooselee
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by EkekoBWI
Booked a flight 2 months ago for my wife and child using the companion ticket. Flight is in 3 weeks. The relative they're visiting unexpectedly will be in surgery in 3 weeks and stay for a week in part of the hospital where young children are not permitted.

Is the best thing for me to do:
A. Have my wife show up and use her own ticket and our child no-show for the departure (which i think means my wife's return will still be valid but my child's return will be cancelled and incur no fee)
B. Call Delta this week and explain the situation, hoping for a refund of my child's ticket
C. Something else?

TIA
Is your wife the "primary" passenger on the PNR (the one whose ticket is paid for? If so, then your child can no show and your wife can just fly as planned (option A). You'll not be charged anything but also won't receive any refund.

For option B, if your child is using the certificate, then nothing was paid other than taxes/fees (usually ~$25) so there's not much to be refunded, though it's certainly worth a call given the situation. Unless you're asking if they will give the certificate back. I think technically that should not be possible, but again not much to lose by calling to explain the situation and ask.

Hope your relative is okay!