FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Using Amex Plat Benefits With Hertz (could use some guidance)
Old May 24, 2019, 10:37 am
MSPeconomist
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by smoaky
Are you saying I can enjoy the benefits of the Amex card with Hertz even if I use a Chase card to pay?

That benefit with National sounds great as well. Presumably I can just book the cheapest car (economy or whatever) then pick a full-size when I arrive?

I'll be driving from Santa Fe/ABQ to SLC over about a week. Open to whatever program I can get the most use out of using my Amex card. I asked about Hertz because their rates were well lower on this route from Santa Fe vs. a wider array of expensive choices from ABQ. We are talking $550 vs. $1,000. So I may be stuck with Hertz, in which case I'll try to take full advantage of these benefits.
Be very careful with this. My undertstanding is that you must use the AmEx Plat card to pay for the entire rental in order to have the AmEx Plat card insurance converage. There's even been a discussion regarding what happens if you use coupons to reduce the rental cost or if you get an award rental (partially) using Hertz points for example. [For this reason, the only card I have associated with my Hertz account is the AmEx Plat card; I don't want someone to cause trouble for me by putting a rental on a different card.]

You also need to be careful about coverage in different jurisdictions. California apparently has different somewhat different insurance laws and AmEx Plat excludes a few countries. [You should never take a rental car across a border unless you've done your homework; some rental agreements say that the car cannot leave the country or cannot enter certain countries such as Italy and Eastern Europe.]

The four hour extension also isn't worldwide and requires that you use the AmEx PTS rate, not just pay with your card.