FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Using Amex Plat Benefits With Hertz (could use some guidance)
Old May 24, 2019, 9:57 am
nycflyer17
formerly smoaky

Originally Posted by AutoSlash
A one-class upgrade is about the best you can hope for. I think technically it's only an upgrade to a maximum of a fullsize car, but it can't hurt to book a fullsize and ask for an upgrade to a premium car. That doesn't mean you will get it, but no harm in trying. As you know, at a non-Ultimate Choice location, you probably won't do as well. That's just the way it is.
Thanks. I actually ended up booking this to a Hertz location in Santa Fe, not at the airport, since the rate was much lower and it was actually closer to where I'll be. So this is *definitely* not an Ultimate Choice location! I've booked a full-size and will inquire when I arrive. I don't need a Premium Car per se, but would like a new one and to at least have some choice. But perhaps that might be expecting a bit much for a local lot in Santa Fe....

Separately, I did notice that the 4 hour grace period appears to have been baked into the rate. I was billed for 3 extra hours on top of my daily rate vs. 7 from what I can tell. That is great -- it works -- though I somehow had thought it meant you could return the car within 4 hours of when it was due. That would come in super handy in my case, but don't want to get stuck with any fees here. I may give them a ring to clarify.

Originally Posted by m907
Amex does have an opt-in program for a flat $20 charge for primary insurance on rental cars for up to 30 days at a time.
Thanks, I did notice that, however if I can get the secondary to function as primary without paying, I'll surely go that route! However, if there is little to no benefit in my case (small lots not at an airport) to booking with Amex, I may just charge to my Chase card to get primary insurance (and triple UR points) off the bat...

Last edited by jason8612; May 25, 2019 at 12:35 am Reason: Merged consecutive posts