FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Raffles Meradhoo Maldives
View Single Post
Old May 24, 2019, 4:04 am
Passportinonehand

Originally Posted by tris06
Haha I suppose Maldives is not good for a trip with the wife. She can't swim which might be an issue on an island with not much else you can do. I wonder how all these resorts get powered considering the remoteness.
If she can't swim, the Maldives probably isn't the best of places to go :-). There are a lot of questions we ask ourselves as how these resorts work.
Perfect electricity, perfect wireless internet everywhere, no visible transmission towers, ...
And how do you even start building a complete overwater village like the one in Raffles?

Originally Posted by Dav77

i think he’s a (quite famous on IG) blogger ... it’s not unusual for some kind of people (blogger or simply “rich” or with “the possibility to do” people) to visit several resorts at Maldives or everywhere in the world in one year. Lucky them or good for them, happy for them 😃

Sometime it’s a job, sometimes just because they can enjoy. What’s the matter?
Correct, blogger indeed, and far from being rich!

We try to explore the world and do so in a way we think is the most fun way to do. So when visiting the Maldives, a luxury resort is part of the experience, because if there's one place on this planet that knows how to do hospitality, it's the Maldives. But just before the Maldives we spent 2 months in Australia, living in a campervan and driving around the coast, taking our daily shower at the beach or at a campsite. In a couple weeks, we're traveling to the USA, where we'll rent a car, drive from Vancouver to L.A., then cross-country through New Mexico, Texas, Louisiana, Georgia and all the way up to Washington D.C. We'll be sleeping in Motels mostly (as we think that's part of the experience in the USA, and maybe we'll buy a tent and camp in some national parks as well.

So while we do enjoy luxury, we absolutely don't need it and most of our trips are the contrary of luxury. But if Amangiri asks us to stay a couple nights and take some pics, we wouldn't say no :-).

Originally Posted by CanadaDH
As nice as the place looks, I think I'd go bored out-of-my-mind after just a couple of days at one of these places. I can't imagine going to 7 such island resorts in a lifetime, let alone a year. But, to each their own I suppose. I don't mind going to a beach place (although, I'm not much of a warm weather and beach type of person), but I'd rather it be attached to a larger land mass that I can go off exploring.
We're actually very similar, but found the Maldives to be a place where we could easily spend a week or two without getting bored. After two weeks we were happy to finally be back in a city though.