FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Using Amex Plat Benefits With Hertz (could use some guidance)
Old May 23, 2019, 5:58 pm
nycflyer17
formerly smoaky

Thanks for your help and the information. Do you happen to know what happens at a smaller airport without Hertz Ultimate Choice? I'm likely picking up a car in Santa Fe, NM, at the airport there. (Not flying to SAF, but picking up a vehicle there as rates are massively lower than ABQ for my route.) I'm sure I'll live with whatever I get, but curious. If I want to get a Premium vehicle, my best bet is to book a Full Size, correct?

Originally Posted by AutoSlash
The "benefit" so-to-speak is to just use the Amex Platinum card to get you National Executive status. Once you do that, you can pay with any card you wish when renting.

With regard to booking, you need to book at least a midsize car to be able to select a car from the Executive Aisle. It works pretty similarly to the way Hertz Ultimate Choice works at major airports today.

In this case, whether renting from Hertz or National, there isn't a huge benefit to either company when using the card other than upgraded status, although as @Yllanes pointed out, Hertz does give you an extra 4-hour grace period when booking via the Amex Platinum CDP. The same insurance benefits apply, and you still need to buy SLI at the counter to be adequately covered if you don't have a personal auto policy.