FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Wierd through (no change) flights
View Single Post
Old May 22, 2019, 6:18 pm
Jerseyguy

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards, Jetblue TrueBlue, American Advantage
Originally Posted by dmbolp
I go to MEM for work and there's no direct from ATL. So I'll take the ATL-TPA-MEM (no plane change) intentionally over a plane change in any other city; longer distance but shorter total travel time, eliminate an entire deplaning and lining up again and boarding again cycle, and no chance of missing my connecting flight

There's tons of these; today you can ATL-BWI-TPA without a plane change...if you want
I did not know that, for MCO-EWR DEN seems a bit more extreme though.

Originally Posted by Often1
Nothing weird about them. There is likely very little direct traffic on those flights and they are likely almost all O&D between the city pairs, but WN schedules for aircraft utilization rather than connections.

Who would buy this? If, the time one goes to purchase a ticket, all that is left is this odd direct flight, that becomes the sole option.
I understand thats how the plane is routed but its a little wierd to offer it as a flight.

Originally Posted by Nirvana91
100% agree. I will go out of my way to take a one-stop with with no plane change over a connection, even if the first option gets in a bit later (if we're talking like 3+ hours later, that might be a different story). Usually you can move to a much better seat for the second flight, and you don't have to worry about misconnecting.
Sure a 1 stop vs a connection, I havent been on one since the early 90s IAD-MCO-SRQ but yeah I would prefer doing the safer option too.