FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - DFW - New Terminal F announced, C renovation to occur (~2020-2025)
Old May 22, 2019, 3:23 pm
MarkOK

Programs: AAdvantage ExecPlat, World of Hyatt Globalist, plain "member" of Marriott, IHG, enterprise, etc.
I can't see how in that site it makes much sense to do anything that is substantially different than D. There isn't enough room really to put gates on two sides of a terminal there, especially if we are talking about widebody gates. If you laid a two sided terminal N-S, you would need clearance under the skylink and clearance widthwise between skylink support columns which is maybe doable structurally but not ideal (is there a security risk?). If you build a NS terminal toward the E side, and build stingers towards the W, you don't have enough length for more than a few gates on either side and it would be a squeeze to put in two stingers.

As for the convenience of two sided terminals, I think it is highly overrated for a few reasons. First, I don't think it substantially reduces walking distances. Putting gates on the outside of a C allows for a denser configuration of gates per length of walking in the terminal than a straight line anyways. Even at D (and E satellite), each corner comfortably hosts three stands adding some density as well. Also, most connecting traffic is changing terminals anyways and the biggest reduction in walking distance has to do with average distance from the gate to the inner terminal train system. At DFW, you are usually a few gates from a Skylink. At a place like DEN or ATL, you are often farther than that. Secondly, two sided terminals don't accommodate concessions and bathrooms as comfortably. DFW has space on the inside of the curve to put concessions and bathrooms near every gate without feeling cramped!

My bet is that the airport and AA wants a competitive design process to make sure they've vetted their options, but will go with a D type of design, which, to remind you, is widely acclaimed. I bet they build a N half first and then a S half as (and if) needed later (though, maybe all at once). My bet it that they connect F via a connection building to D with two levels, the upper being for international arrivals to funnel towards D to avoid a new international arrivals being buildt. (like what exists between B and D now). On the inside edge of the of terminal, now, I wouldn't be surprised there to see bigger differences for better ticketing and security areas and maybe a new hotel, conference, or office building type of a space....

Last edited by MarkOK; May 23, 2019 at 7:30 am